Before going outside to check your roof, it’s very important to ensure that the storm has already passed. If there has been flooding in your area, make sure that the water has gone as well. Keep in mind that your safety should always be your top priority. If you’re not confident about inspecting your roof, it’s best to call a roofing professional to do this job for you.
JJ Quality Builders of the Palm Beaches, a reputable roofer, shares this simple guide to checking your roof for storm damage.
- Look around your yard, and see if blown-off shingles have landed on the ground.
- Check your roofing from the ground, and try to spot any missing or damaged shingles. It’s possible for shingles to be blown off during a storm, leaving your roof deck exposed. This can cause serious problems in your roofing if this is left unchecked.
- Find out if your siding, soffit, fascia, and other exterior parts of your home have been damaged. Also, don’t forget to check if the downpipes are still firmly attached. Severe damage to these parts may require you to plan for home renovation.
- If you have the equipment and it’s totally safe for you to do so, you may opt to climb to your roof so that you can have a better look. It’s best to have someone else watch you as you go up to your roofing. This way, you can call for help if you need some tools or in case of an accident.
- Keep an eye out for water leaks and stains as these may indicate roof damage.
- Take notes as much as possible. If you can, take pictures as well. These would be very helpful when filing an insurance claim.
- Look for your roofing warranty, and check your insurance. Find out the next steps that you should take with regards to roof repair.
- It’s still best to call a roofer after doing a round of inspections yourself. A professional would be able to spot any damage that isn’t easily noticeable. They can also advise you on the necessary repairs or maintenance that can be done to prevent serious damage.
JJ Quality Builders of the Palm Beaches is highly rated by local customers due to our dedication to excellent workmanship. From attic insulation intallation to roof replacement, we can carry out your job to a high standard. Call us at (561) 932-4181 or fill out our contact form to request a consultation.